Friday, January 20, 2006

Championships and such

Ok, I know some of you are clamoring for my comments on what's transpired over the past few days in Titletown, but that will come in good time. Suffice it to say, none of it is very positive. Now, as I sit listening to the so called experts spew whatever crap they believe it's time to come up with some sensible stuff.
First off, everyone seems to be psyched that these two games are going to be so exciting. Well for one thing, that is a freakin' lie. If I were a betting man, I'd say that one of these games if not both is NOT going to come down to the final minutes. It's been my opinion for years that your most exciting playoff football comes the week BEFORE the championship games. It makes logical sense as there are 4 games instead of 2. I'm not saying that either of these games will be blowouts persay, but I don't think we'll see anything close to what happened in the indy/pitt game. I've never been the best at outright predicting games (5-3 this year in the playoffs), but I do think I know about what to look for and watch.
First game on the schedule is the AFC championship so let's start there. I'll say it right away I like Pittsburgh to win. Denver has been hot at home, but when push comes to shove I don't think Jake Plummer has what it takes. If Plummer has to win it by throwing the ball 35+ times, Denver won't win. Plummer has proven that throughout his career. I think Dick Lebeau is a great defensive coordinator and will be ready, that and I don't think that Denver will be the recipient of 5 turnovers as they were last week. On the Pittsburgh side of the ball my unlikely mvp of the game is Hines Ward. The guy's due to breakout. But what do I know. Pittsburgh is my pick here.
NFC game is a bit more intriguing for me. I'll give you my pick right away again, Holmgren and Seattle win this one and Holmgren will be hoisting the Lombardi trophy for his 2nd different team in 2 and a half weeks. Why will Seattle win? Well I think the big reason is they are going to be able to run the ball and VERY effectively. I look for Shaun Alexander to have a huge day, specifically running behind the left side of that line. Tackle Waler Jones, and Left Guard Steve Hutchinson are great at what they do. In particular Hutchinson, I feel is the best guard not named Will Shields in the league (Yes, he's still better than Mike Wahle)! It's fun to watch Hutchinson during the game, do it, and you'll see what I mean. Very rarely is it enjoyable to watch an offensive lineman during an NFL contest, unless he's ripping some guy's helmet off his head!
I see Seattle running the ball often and effectively and they will run it at Julius Peppers. What's more, is I think Carolina's D is going to be in for a surprise if they blitz Seattle like they did the Giants and Bears. You can get away with blitzing Eli and Rex but Hasselbeck does have a bit of experience under his belt. I also am going to go out on a limb and say Steve Smith doesn't finish this game due to injury. Hey, I'm allowed a swing and a miss once in awhile. This is going to be a game where, if it's close, the team with the ball last will lose. I don't see either Hasselbeck or Delhomme making one of those classic last minute drives for the victory. Seattle will win this one. *Watch out for Jerramy Stevens having a big game.*

3 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

also, i hope ed hochuli and mike carey are officiating these games. they are BY FAR the best in the biz!

5:18 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Ummm, brothers and sister can a gentleman get some props for a pretty much right on call of the weekend's games, sans the Steve Smith injury?

10:07 PM  
Blogger axlfrigginrose said...

well, steve smith may as well been injured. nice predictions.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home